Man United held negotiations with 20-year-old Bundesliga winger

Jadon Sancho has admitted this campaign has been “hard’’ after his proposed summer move to Man United failed to materialise. England international was strongly linked with a switch to Red Devils, but Borussia Dortmund’s £108m price tag proved too high.

And Jadon has since struggled for form, scoring for only the third time this term in a 3-0 UCL victory over Club Brugge on Tuesday night. “I am just happy that I am playing,” Sancho said. “I have coaches and teammates that believe in me. Recently, it’s been a hard situation for me.”

“But it’s all about how I come back and have performances like this against Brugge. They will hopefully get me back to the top, how I was playing before.” The Red Devils were hopeful that Bundesliga giants would back down on their valuation of the 20-year-old forward and let him go before October 5.

That certainly did not amuse Borussia Dortmund officials and once that deadline had passed they were insistent that the English attacker would not be leaving. And since his return to action Jadon has been well and truly off the boil, although he did score on Tuesday night.

Sancho has only two assists from six matches so far and he did find himself on the bench for last weekend’s win over Hertha Berlin. It’s probably safe to assume that his head was in Man United and speaking after BVB’s 3-0 win over Club Brugge, he said: “I am just happy that I am playing, I have coaches and team-mates that believe in me.”